Sunday 18 March 2012

RSS Feeds.

During this lesson we had to subscribe to a number of library related blogs through Google Reader which is located simply at http://www.google.com/reader. I think the reader is a good application that can be very helpful and a time saver so that you're not constantly searching websites for new information, it is sent directly to you.

I don't really think that I would use this feature too much in my personal life because I do not visit many websites that are constantly being added to with new information and articles. In gerneral I do not spend a lot of time reading/finding new items online, but with the RSS reader I wouldnt have to spend time looking for new stories etc. to view, I can easily view all new updates on the one page of the Google Reader (when I can get them to show up!)
I think that RSS feeds for libraries are a very important online resource which is an easy was to keep up with any new information relating to the information industry and other local services which it can connect too. Library staff members wouldn't have time sent aside to search websites that they constantly use and refer to for updated information, this way they do not have to spent a large amount of time sifting through a large number of websites for new info.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Abbey

    A very honest appraisal and you clearly understand the use of RSS in the library situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to explore thes websites, for us to see what is available and what we like to use for our use and others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I imagine RSS would be very useful in libraries, but as anna stated it's good to go to the site itself every so often too, to see what's happening there and more of a feel for the updates, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete